Monday, January 24, 2011

Mondays and Covers

I should just make this my standard Monday art. Ugh. I have to post at the Here Be Magic blog for Carina fantasy/paranormal authors on Wednesday, and I'm coming up blank. Straight up promo is discouraged, and come on, that gets boring anyway. Added to that, my book doesn't release until late April. I'm still anxiously awaiting the cover art.

Ah, a topic I can chat about--dreaded cover art. It's a fear I think a lot of writer share but refuse to talk about. On the one hand, it's exciting to see what an artist will make of your book. Cover art attracts the reader, the blurb and writing do the rest. But without good cover art, books don't get sold. Sorry. I don't care if the book is electronic or print. Crappy art leads a reader to believe in a crappy book. Hey, I'm a reader, and that's what I'm thinking. Now, I'm also a writer, so I'll usually waive the artwork and chance the blurb and an excerpt before buying, but that's if I'm hard up for a new read.

Depending upon the publisher, writers get more to less input on cover art. All of my publishers are smaller presses, with the exception of Carina, who has a big sister named Harlequin, and they all ask for input. Even at Carina, I submitted some details on a sheet. What the hero looks like, the heroine, the theme, what the story's about... etc. Then the artist takes over. I read a few notes from some big wig romance authors who've complained when their heroes are blond on the cover but dark haired in books. So it's not just smaller presses who get uber creative.

I haven't had too many complaints when it comes to my books. Some covers I love, some I wished had a little bit more of what I asked for. It's always a toss up to see if I'm more excited or nervous about the cover art in question.

I recently received art work for my upcoming work, The Lost Locket, coming out next month from Loose Id. I loved the cover, with the exception of one thing. I don't know if it can be fixed or not, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Thankfully, the rest of the cover is terrific and really fits the book.

I've heard readers complain about male torsos. What happened to their heads? Well, lemme tell you, I'd rather see a hero's smokin' body minus the head than an ugly model on the cover. That sounds nasty and superficial. Sue me. I have a hard time correlating sexy when I'm looking at Igor surrounded by Cinderella's ugly stepsisters. There's a reason models get paid to have their pictures taken. And no, I'm not a model. :)

Soon as I get the go-ahead, I'll post my newest cover. Until then, take another gander at Wolf Wanted. This is the second rendition of it. I didn't care much for the first. I think this one turned out much better.

No comments: