Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ahoy Matey: A Real Pet Peeve

When I google my name, a ton of Marie Harte sites pop up. I would be flattered, except a lot of them are pirated book sites. Don't worry, I'm not going to belabor the point that pirating is bad. I'm just a bit surprised that the sites allow ebooks to be offered at all. Print books I get. Hey, I have books I trade into used book stores. But from what I gather, not one electronic publisher allows ebooks to be copies or distributed unless through explicit allowance by said publisher.

I try not to lose sleep over it. I mean, I send out takedown notices, but a day later, a new site goes up carrying my books. It's frustrating, but I do think what goes around comes around.

My big peeve lately is iOffer. The site continually lists books--FOR SALE--by people who collected them and just decided to sell them for money. It's one thing to share my books without buying them. I mean, come on, I'm trying to make a living here, and it's not easy in a niche market. But selling my work? That just ticks me off. Karma Karma Karma. Yeah, say it with me...

My vent of the day.

No comments: