Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Control Issues--Yep, I Got 'Em

I meant to blog yesterday but had to recoup from my strenuous Sunday. I drove for 2 1/2 hours, each way, next to my husband and with two other couples into Atlanta to see the Packers/Falcons football game. LIVE. We tailgated, watched the two grown men with us get stupid drunk, then one of them, an Army major no less, get lost on the way back to the friggin' car, but we genuinely enjoyed the game. It was close, and to my surprise, there were a lot of Packers fans in the audience. Go Pack! (Yeah, well, they lost 20-17, but it was a really close game.)

Yet, for all that, the bizarre part of the entire trip is how much I dreaded it. I like to be behind the wheel. I like to own the remote control. I like things done my way. Period. Hmm, sounds like a person with control issues. A WRITER! I tell my characters what to do, where to go, and rein them in when they go way outside my story. It really hit me that I have the perfect career. Except for having to listen to editors and publishers in regards to the administrative details of writing, I am in charge.

For example, I've written about half of a story about two psychics, a ghost or hint of reincarnation, I can't figure out which. And the story bothers the crap out of me. I've already changed some facets of my hero once, and now I'm going to go back and gut the story again today. Why? Because the story needs it, and because I CAN!!

Well, heck, at least I've got some control. I'll take it when I can get it. Happy Tuesday, and stay dry. It's raining here.

No comments: