Friday, December 3, 2010

Second Time's the...Charm?

Adjectives to describe me as a writer: creative, hard-working, focused, happy, neurotic. Yes, I'm neurotic. A bit crazy at times when it comes to second-guessing character motivations, reader desires, and a book's chance of success. Hence this post about Kate Undone, the recent source of my unease.

I've had the ideas for parallel worlds and Cross Step, Kansas in my head for years. Huge files full of characters, races and ideas for stories, some set in the future from when Namesake takes place. In fact, my Voiders folder has been transferred twice as I've upgraded computers over the years. When I finally decided to write Namesake, I loved the premise: Voids (wormholes) suddenly appear on earth in certain spots, and through them come Voiders, humanoids from alternate worlds. One type of Voider are the Ravagers, who equate to what we know as werewolves. Sexy werewolves. Bring on the romance.

I wasn't so sure about the heavy sensuality of the story. But it seemed a good fit for Ellora's Cave. One heroine, four heroes who later become two, then bump back up to three. Yeah, multiple heroes. But the story makes sense in the context of the Ravager family unit. One female to several males (3-6) make a pack. In Namesake, Vicki Fox claims the prime, his guard and one other.

Two of the initial heroes, who help make Vicki pack, drop out. They had their own female to claim, as well as each other. Perfect. I'd write the next story for Jesse, Logan, and Kate. Three Ravagers with some emotional issues to clear up before they can have their own happily ever after. An overarching plot of human watch groups, a crime lord with a hidden agenda, and Ravager politics round out the story.

I needed to be sure this story would stand up after Namesake's initial success. But so far, I have no friggin' clue how it's doing. I had one reader comment she liked it (thank you, Carrie Ann!) The ball in my chest eased. And then...nothing. No comments, no ratings, no nothing. I suppose no news is better than bad news, but I can't stop wondering about reader reaction.

Like I don't have other things I should be doing--wrapping up my current WIP before my mom comes next week, cleaning the house, decorating the house, starting my Christmas shopping... ACK! I can only hope Kate Undone does well enough that EC will accept my next novel about the mysterious crime boss in Cross Step--Mr. Tommy Chen. Chen is different than anyone else on the planet. No pack or clan, no family or relatives. He's the sole survivor of his people...or so he thinks.

Cross your fingers, and hope that his story will one day see the light of day. And that I can get my head out of my butt long enough to write it!

Have a nice weekend, and may the rest of your Friday be much less neurotic than mine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were definitely wowed enough by the success of Namesake to take chances on additional submissions. :) Finish that book, Marie!

Marie Harte said...

Okay, Kelli. I will!!

Marie :)

Lumy said...

Hi, Marie, just wanted to say that I just read Your Voiders series and I LOVED IT! I loved the charaters the story. I read both books in two nights. I can't wait for Chen's story. Fingers crossed it comes quick. Well This was my first series from you and I'm going to search for my next. Thanks for a wonderful read.

Marie Harte said...

Hey Lumey. Glad you liked the Voiders. The Ravagers are the first of many species I plan to write about. Tommy Chen's race, I guess you could call it, is something different. And secret. His story is going to be a lot of fun to write, and those Watchers will make a reappearance as well. :)

Marie

ElizabethN said...

Yeah! Glad to hear that Chen's story will be coming. When I read Namesake he sure caught my eye.

And lots of notes for more stories. Double yeah!

I've got Kate Undone (and Gunnar's Game)to read, but probably won't get a chance until after the beginning of the year. Too many things to physically do around the house before having arm surgery. But, due to the surgery, I'll have at least a week off to read, oops, recuperate.

Piece of advice, if your hand goes consistently numb, don't blow it off thinking that it's just carpal tunnel getting worse. Apparently compressed nerves in the elbow region are common and can result in permanent damage if not treated. End of PSA.

Marie Harte said...

Hey Elizabeth. Wow. Hope your surgery goes well, and that your recovery isn't too strenuous...on your eyes! Seriously, I wish you well and take your PSA to heart. I need all my fingers working to type.

:) Marie

Colette said...

Marie,

Please please write more. I just finished Kate Undone and loved it. Loved them both!!!
Sometimes us readers read a story, love it, save it for re-reading and never think to contact the author. Just get lost in daily life and move on
So sorry - know that it was great and please write more Voiders!!!!