Monday, February 4, 2008

Dreams and Deja Vu

I thought this picture by Salvador Dali, Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bumblebee around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening, appropriate for this post. Odd, yes. But I had a weird dream the other day that stuck with me. Great fodder for a new story.

In my dream, I was in my real life, in my house with my kids. Everything was the same, except for a few key details, like a giant ant hill in my front yard, complete with giant ants, and furniture and toys from my youth stuck in odd places in my house, as well as a cat I used to have roaming my living room. But it was the fact that I knew I was dreaming that struck me, and that I woke myself in one dream, only to wake in another! So totally bizarre. I'm not normally cognizant that I'm dreaming in my dreams, and yesterday I not only knew it, but tried to wake myself from it, only to find myself embedded in another dream. I tried to scream to wake myself up, but couldn't speak. And then, like that, I just opened my eyes.

I would love to experience the sensation again, simply because it was so unbelievably odd. Which led me to another moment a few days ago. Sitting in a restaurant at a long table reserved for a group of friends celebrating a birthday. Green walls. People passing dessert plates and homemade dessert brought into the restaurant to celebrate a birthday....deja vu hit big time. Studying the sensation, I knew it wasn't caused by having eaten in a restaurant before or by being surrounded by green walls. I don't normally dine out with those folks (my aerobics class :), but I did that night. And that's what I'd envisioned doing before.

Okay, off my weird vibe weekend. But still, makes for interesting thoughts and future stories, you know?

Happy Monday

No comments: