Wednesday, May 11, 2011

THOR: Movie Review----A


THOR, a movie review. Grade: A

I thought I'd do a review of Thor, since I saw the movie Sunday night. First, let me state I'm slightly biased. I like superheroes, comics, and Norse mythology. That said, I'm also very particular about a good story and a a solid blend of special effects, characterization, and plot.
I'm happy to say Thor has all of these. My only criticism of the film would be the rather weak romance subplot, but it's so minor it didn't detract at all from the movie. Nor did it add much, but okay.

From beginning to end, the movie's pacing is just right. Neither too fast nor too slow, it sets up Thor's character while introducing his homeworld. In this movie, Asgard is treated like an alternate world rather than a godly plane of existence. The special effects are out of this world, er, literally. Great stuff, and enough eye candy to keep you glued to the screen. And by eye candy, I'm not talking about the very handsome, super hot Chris Hemsworth, who plays Thor. The scenery is incredible.

Though the mythology is at times questionable, it's easy to immerse yourself in this world. When Thor is sent down to Earth, there's plenty of humor and adventure to keep you watching to see what happens next. Lots of action and great fight sequences are planted throughout the movie, and the ending has a nice resolution that satisfies while leaving you wanting more.

The actor who plays Thor is only going to get more popular. Chris Hemsworth--know the name. Natalie Portman gave a so-so performance, but honestly, she didn't have that much to work with. I just didn't see the chemistry between her character and Thor, but the rest of the movie was great enough that it more than made up for that minor weak point. Stellan SkarsgÄrd and Kat Dennings play her friends and provide amusement. Tom Hiddleston, who plays Loki, does an admirable job, as does Anthony Hopkins, who plays Odin. All in all, a terrific movie and a great way to spend two hours. I highly recommend seeing it in the theater, if only to see the grand world of Asgard up on the big screen. (I don't know that I'd spend the money on 3D though.)

No comments: