Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Inspirational Quote of the Day

Procrastination: Hard work pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now. (Demotivators from Despair.com.)

I love this company. I used to work in places, not the Marine Corps, mind you, but in companies where those sappy motivational posters hung on the walls. Sometimes I still wish I worked there, so I could hang this and the many others I've read and laughed at over at Despair.com.

There's just something about doing it later. It--whatever it might be--only gets better with age. I work really well on a deadline. Don't ask me why. I don't know. And I don't actually like cramming a week's worth of work into one day. But for some reason my creative processes thrive under stress.

Take for example, this tax season. I just bough TurboTax, so I'm ready to go. The necessary forms and filings are all in the TAX 2009 folder. But it's all sitting on my desk looking at me while I gear up to write. Granted, I owe again this year, but hey, I'm a writer, and I'm going to owe every year because I contract my work. At least when I owe, I know I made some money. But I think this year I'm going to have to move to quarterly filings (which I should have done last year--stupid me.)

Now I must return to my brand new Procrastination mug, the inspiration for today's post. Every time I read the caption I start cracking up. Not great when I'm due to write a love scene. Still, it's pretty funny. Time for some mental motivation, as encapsulated in the handy-dandy pic below.

No comments: