Saturday, February 20, 2010

How I Spent My Saturday--OR--The Longest Walk EVER

I'm thirty-eight. My son is six. But after the longest walk in a park EVER, this is what we looked like when we came back.

I just wanted to take advantage of the nice day. My son has been coughing a lot, and I thought the fresh air, away from the house and the damned Wii, ni addition to the sixty-plus degree day, would be nice spent outside. Well, we had to stop so he could examine every rock, stick, and bug in existence. He needed to sit on every bench--and yes, there's a bench like every six feet. And God forbid we ignore the brown, sluggish river gurgling ever so close.

For an easy day spent walking, I nearly had a stroke forcing myself to relax and go at his pace. Two hours and three miles later, we finished our walk. Needless to say, I now know everything there is to know about his favorite color, toy, friends and activities. My little chatterbox likes to talk, so I did actually have a good time listening. But holy-moly, the kid drags his feet like nobody's business. Nice bonding, not so great exercise. But hey, I made a memory today. And hopefully, he'll remember us walking and laughing and (me) griping when he's older.

1 comment:

Jake said...

That is SUCH a beautiful story. I hope that it will be a lasting, joyful memory for you. Like I always say, he is a really neat kid!!