Monday, June 13, 2011

BRIDESMAIDS: Movie Review

Bridesmaids: A Movie Review

I was very tempted to see this movie when it first came out, but after so much buzz about it, I shied from it, worried the movie wouldn't live up to its reputation.

I am SO glad I went to see this! I can now see why this movie has done so well in the theaters, grossing over 100 million. What a funny movie! The cast is mostly female, with a few men thrown in to round out the story.

It's more than a wedding movie, more than just about a bridesmaid and the bride. It's about friendship and the changes that comes with growing up, and, well, living. The comedy is dirty, smart, gross, and just plain laugh-out-loud funny.

Kristen Wiig, who plays Annie, the titular character, is spot on and enormously entertaining. She laughs when she should laugh, and has a way of saying nothing and emotes more with her expressions than words could say.

The groom's sister, played by Melissa McCarthy, steals the show. She is hilarious. I want to say more, to describe the plot, but heck, it's about a bridesmaid. Go from there. You really have to see it to fully enjoy the different characters, the jealousies, the rivalry, and the loss and gain of confidence and best friends.

Note: This is a rated R movie. I wouldn't take a young child to see it. Language and sexual situations make it inappropriate for a kid, in my opinion. It's more a woman movie than one for guys, but all the men in the audience with me laughed their *sses off. If the first scene doesn't throw you for a raucous loop, I don't know what will. I'm still laughing thinking about it. Worth a second watch, for sure. And video, oh yeah.

I give it an A+. Smart dialogue, great plot, intriguing characters, and one hell of a submarine sandwich. :) See it and you'll agree.

No comments: