Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

A Happy Halloween to everyone out there! I'm a guest blogger at Simply Ali this week, and wrote a piece on the vampire in honor of today's holiday. Check it out at Ali's blog.

The picture on the left is that of Bela Lugosi's Dracula, from the 1931 film. Classic horror. I thought I'd list my favorite classics just for fun. Got any I've missed? Feel free to add them. :) Here's another oldie but a goodie. Boris Karloff's Frankenstein. And how about Lon Cheney, the man of 1000 faces? Recognize him in The Phantom of the Opera? Or how about his son, Lon Cheney, Jr., as The Wolfman? And who could forget The Creature From the Black Lagoon?

I've since introduced my smaller kids to these movies, and they love them. Free from mindless blood and gore, these movies still imbue that sense of awe and trepidation psychologically, without resorting to out and out violence. The shadows, the creepy music, the lingering pauses, all of it adds up to a thrill that still makes me tingle when I watch them.
No offense to Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees or Michael Meyers, but the oldies are goodies for a reason.

2 comments:

Lisa Andel said...

I always love the mob with the farm implements going after Frankenstein.

Hey, you should stop by my blog on Nov. 11. I'm having "Super Nekkid Man" day then. (yeah, I'm pimping it, but it's not like it's going to be a hardship to anyone). :D

Marie Harte said...

Sounds good, Lisa. I'll pop by. I never say no to a nekkid man. :)

Marie