Monday, August 6, 2007

Inspiration

Inspiration Strikes

A questions I'm often asked, how the heck did you come up with that story? The answer varies, but I think most writers will say that their inspiration comes from everywhere and everyone.

I have the oddest muse. Mine visits when I'm in the shower. Don't ask me why, but as I stand under the warm beads of water, watching soap and suds swirl down the drain, I get the best ideas. Then it's usually a dash for my towel and a notebook to hurry up and jot down notes.

I'm a sci/fi, fantasy nut, so it's no surprise that I like to write futuristic and paranormal romances. Television is a wonderful resource. I love the Discovery Channel's specials on the universe. The History Channel's disection of holidays and religious traditions. Then there's the Scifi Channel, always a thrill. Books, people you pass on the street or in the mall. Everyday occurrences make me wonder, what could I do with this in a book?

Creating worlds and societal rules is always fun. But sometimes coming up with names can be a real pain. I have a book of baby names I use when writing contemporaries and paranormals, but I like my futuristics to be more creative when it comes to character names. I mean, come on. A male fugititve from planet Nolan who's name is Harry? For those names, I often look right on my desk. It's great fun to bastardize letterhead or advertisements to come up with names. Gren, for example, from Winner Takes All and Lurin's Surrender, found his name from a post card on my desk with the word "green" on it. I took out an "e," and Gren was born.

Bottom line, creation is always a thrill, and inspiration can strike from the most unlikely of places.

No comments: