Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday's Food for Thought

I still am not sure how exactly I found this article. One link lead to another to another, but I'm so glad I found it. Jodi Piccoult and Jennifer Weiner answer questions about fair treatment by the press of women writers versus men writers. Here's the article...

I shouldn't be, but I'm still amazed that in this day and age women's fiction is largely ignored by the mass media. I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly, a magazine I really enjoy. But I can count on one hand the number of times they've reviewed a romance book or a chick lit novel. Why is that? My local paper never does romance reviews, nor have I ever seen them in USA Today or The New York Times. Why are thrillers and mysteries and literary fiction more worthy than romance? Romance is a leading genre selling in the market. It's a billion dollar industry. I'm not sure of last year's sales, but according to RWA, in 2008 romance accounted for 1.37 billion in sales. That's a lot of green!

So why is romance still touted as the red-headed step child? Because the vast majority of its writers and readers are women? I'd really, really like to know.

No comments: