Sunday, February 1, 2009

Supernatural "Fanning"

This is a picture of (characters) Sam and Dean Winchester from my favorite television show, Supernatural. Supernatural is on the WB every Thursday night at 9pm EST. I'm not a "fangirl." I'm not into hunky guys. Okay, these two are rather attractive. But it's the storyline of the show that just grabs me and won't let me go.

So I wondered what it is about this show that keeps me coming back for more? And how to incorporate some of those quality items into my own writing?

What I like:
1. Two ornery brothers who truly love each other but have a hard time expressing it.
*Who doesn't love tough guys who want to say "I love you" but don't necessarily know how?
2. The Supernatural
*These guys fight the things that go bump in the night on every episode. They're currently involved in a fight between demons and angels and the end of the world. Love it!
3. Family angst
*I'm addicted to other people's problems
4. Okay, the guys are hot.
*I'm married, not dead.
5. There's plenty of humor mixed with sobriety in every episode.
*The writers know how to intersperse humor in this otherwise dark show.
6. You never know who might just die.
*Keeps you on the edge.
7. The story arc keeps getting better.
*Season 1--find the dad. Season 2--stop the Yellow Eyed Demon Season 3--find a way to keep Dean out of hell. Season 4--so far, to stop Lilith (a demon) from opening 66 seals and springing Lucifer free for a virtual hell on earth.
8. What will they come up with next?

So to summarize, I need to write another book that has humor, angst, family struggle, devotion, souls going to hell and coming back out again, angelic wars, sirens, shapeshifters, and .... Oh hell. I'll just keep watching the show every Thursday, and try to create characters that have as much chemistry as the Winchester brothers.

If you'd like to see more about the show, click here. Seriously, it's a terrific show.

No comments: