Thursday, February 12, 2009

News and a Sneak Peek at CR: Hale

Well, early release day at school took away most of my writing time. But at least I got a few dental appointments taken care of. And hey! My new washer and dryer are here. The old ones are 20 years old. Still working, but on their last legs. Now maybe I can concentrate without worrying about the washer shaking through the laundry room. Takes two doors to shut the noise away. Very disturbing.

I've run through Circe's Recruits: Derrick once. My poor editor had her computer turn rabid, so my second round of edits might be delayed. But I was bummed out today because I'd planned on writing a good bit of CR: Hale and couldn't. Ah well. I have two more weeks until my self-imposed due date. I'll get it done by hook or by crook.... I hope.

Here's an unedited sneak peek of Circe's Recruits: Hale

Robbie scowled. “Rogers is different. He’s faster than the others. And I think he might have some mental mojo.” Robbie tapped his forehead. “It took a lot of energy it shouldn’t have to put him down before.”

“Really?” Paige found any talk about Hale fascinating. He’d been a part of her for so long that she felt as if they were already friends. When she’d struck him with that tranquilizer in the house, she’d felt as if she were betraying him. But her timely intervention had saved him from being ripped apart by the rogue dragging him into her kitchen.

“I don’t like the look on your face,” Robbie growled. “Rogers is no good. You keep away from him. We don’t need his kind of trouble.”

Surprised, she considered her friend. She nodded to make him happy, but inside she wondered why Robbie felt so threatened by Hale Rogers. She could see the tension in his frame, the worry in his eyes. Robbie never showed his emotions unless dealing with her. Was he perhaps jealous? He’d never shown signs of it before, not even when necessity demanded she find men for sex, to ease the desires that consumed her every month. He hadn’t reacted to those meaningless occasions at all. Yet Hale Rogers had done the impossible. He’d made Robbie nervous.

Paige wanted more than ever to meet Hale in the flesh. But not right now. “Oh my God. He’s here.”

He appeared, much like Robbie had, from the shadows of the nearest building.

“Paige Masters.” His low voice sent shivers down her spine, but it was the danger he projected when he glanced at Robbie that quickened her womb and shot her libido into overdrive. “And McKinley. I fucking knew it.”


No comments: