Saturday, November 1, 2008

Weddings are Whack...

I may be experiencing some bizarre psychotic disorder, because I've been glued to my television this afternoon watching "Say Yes to the Dress" on TLC. Why? My wedding was ten years ago, and I wasn't all the hepped up on being the bride. I wanted to get married and I liked the wedding, but it wasn't my lifelong dream to be the center of attention for a day. And my dress didn't cost what some of these gowns do. (Astonishing to think I write romances. All I can say is that my focus was on my husband, friends and family at the time, not the details of the wedding.)

That said, I'm fascinated by the women freaking out over one dress. It's a dress. A swath of fabric worn for one specific purpose. Yet these women, and surprisingly, some of their husbands-to-be, are going nuts over just the right gown.

I understand the importance of a wedding. But the dress is such a small part of marriage. I mean, come on. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but considering how many marriages end in divorce nowadays, it makes little sense (to me) to spend five grand on a gown you'll never wear again, to a wedding that may end a year or two later in divorce.

Not all marriages are doomed to fail, but when so much attention and money is spent on an event or garment, with much less focus on the relationship, well, I'd guess most of these bridezillas and bazillion dollar gowns will be alone faster than you can say prenup.

Still, I can't stop watching these women search for their perfect gowns on this show. Some of the brides are quite nice. Some genuinely seem to be in love with their intendeds and only want to make their day special. So maybe I should direct my dismay at the bridezilla shows and the wacky chicks freaking out over five beads too many on a gown. Yeah, I'll stick to those psychos. In the meantime, I just hope Debbie finds the dress of her dreams.

No comments: