Sunday, September 9, 2007

Remembering Madeline L'Engle

Madeline L' Engle 1918-2007
Remembering Madeline L'Engle, beloved author of science fiction, religious meditations and children's fiction. Ms. L'Engle died this past Thursday, Sept 6th, at the age of 88. In her lifetime, she wrote more than 60 books, but is perhaps best known for her genre-breaking A Wrinkle in Time, which won the John Newbery Award as the best children’s book of 1963. It sold more than 6 million copies by 2004, was in its 67th printing and was still selling 15,000 copies a year. Children read this book in English class at schools, and I read it when I was in middle school twenty years ago.

This book influenced me to think outside the box, and it showed that an author doesn't have to write down to a child in order to make the book interesting, or even readable. I, for one, will miss the contributions Ms. L'Engle would have continued to make, but my dog-eared copy of A Wrinkle In Time is still on my keeper shelves. Madeline L'Engle, you will be sorely missed.

No comments: