Friday, June 8, 2007

Guardian's Redemption Teaser

Wow. Sorry, I've been off my posting trend due to being busied with edits and story deadlines.
All I can say is that Tied and True, coming later this month from Loose Id, will be one of the cleanest stories I've ever published! Good editing, VERY thorough. And thanks to my editor Ann Curtis, who has the patience of Job.

I've been working on Guardian's Redemption, the last of my Storm Lords books. And I received some interesting information from my publisher at NCP. Seems the next Storm Lords print book is being slotted for late July. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

On another front, I have another contest running. Check out my website for details, but I must say, I'm giving away books I really like, just because I don't have much room anymore. Lots of Ellloras Cave and Secrets anthologies. And some great paranormal single titles as well. Check it out at www.marieharte.com. Contest ends in a week.


And now, drumroll please...
Here's a short snipped from Guardian's Redemption...never before seen!
“Arim? Arim, wait.”
Arim Valens, Tanselm’s greatest sorcerer, cursed under his breath. What good were his powers when he couldn’t avoid one simple woman? He sighed and stopped, turning to face the dark-haired termagant determined to have a word with him.
“Yes, my queen?”
Queen Ravyn, his sister, fumed, her green eyes shooting daggers. She yanked him to the side, away from the crumbling decay of what had once been Netharat daring to attack the royal city. With a flick of her hands, she encircled them in an invisible, protective bubble, giving them privacy from those who might overhear.
“What do you think you’re doing?”
“Doing?” He lifted a brow in question, knowing it wasn’t smart. As he’d intended, Ravyn’s anger deepened, and he couldn’t help a chuckle. So predictable, his big sister.
“You will not take on so many tasks again without calling for help. The skirmishes in the east and south could have been handled by others. Aerolus is a mage, like you, Arim. And Marcus is the ruler of his territory. You helped put him there. Let them defend their kingdoms and stop thinking you can take on the whole of the Netharat by yourself.”
Apparently, she’d heard about his recent battles this morn in the other territories.
“You’re overtired, drawn and look terrible,” she said bluntly. “While as queen I appreciate the lives you’ve saved this day, as your sister I’m worried about you. We need you strong and whole, Arim. So get a woman, get a drink, do whatever you have to do. But from this moment until I say otherwise, you are not to interfere in any more battles within the four territories.”
She waved through her bubble and turned to a passing warrior, inquiring about the extent of the damages. Three dead, over a dozen wounded. Sadly, she thanked him and watched him help restore order before turning back to Arim.
“I mean it, Arim. Sorcerer of Tanselm you may be, but you answer to a higher power.” To me, she meant.
As overqueen of the realm, she had the wherewithal to enforce her order. And as his sister and sorceress in her own right, she could make things unpleasant if he chose to disobey her.
He suddenly felt faint, the constant strain of reaching for and utilizing Tanselm’s waning magic combined with not enough sleep finally getting to him. He stopped himself before he lost his balance, but the damage had been done.
“Don’t. You. Move.” She pointed a finger at him, and his shields weak from so many concurrent battles, he froze.
Damn her.
“Darius, you’re needed here.”
In an instant, Darius Storm, Prince of Fire and soon-to-be king of the Western Territory appeared, and Ravyn released Arim from her hold. Like Arim, Darius possessed black hair, a tall, powerful frame and an annoyed disposition. But his almond-shaped eyes and fierce expression were the epitome of his mother.
Darius’ red eyes blazed as he stared from Arim to Ravyn. “This had better be good, Mother. I was in the middle of setting a hoard of Netharat on fire. I hope Samantha and the others can contain it before it burns down your prized rose garden.” He studied Arim and glanced beyond him, nodding. “Well, well. Seems our sorcerer just can’t keep his hands off the Netharat. What’s this? Your third time today, and it’s barely noon?”
“If you and your brothers would take the time to properly defend your cities, I wouldn’t have to step in.” A low blow, and not entirely true, but Arim didn’t like waiting on others when action was necessary.
“Tell me, Mother, what would you like me to do with him?” Darius opened his palm to reveal a floating ball of fire.
Ravyn’s tight lips curled into a harsh smile. “You’re such a hothead.” She lowered her voice. “Go help your uncle to his chamber before he falls on his face. It just won’t do for the people to see our greatest sorcerer flat on his butt after what would appear to be a minor skirmish with a few Netharat.”
Arim nodded. “My point, exactly. It was a short skirmish--”
“Here. But the ones in the other territories weren’t. And they happened one on top of the other. Take a break.” Ravyn glared up at him, but her gaze softened as she read something in his mien, something he hadn’t intended to let show. “I know it’s hard. But she’ll wake soon, Arim. I know it.”
Darius’ eyes widened with understanding, and Arim growled at him. “You don’t know anything about this, Darius, nor do you, Ravyn. Lexa’s state doesn’t concern me one way or the other. So long as she’s asleep, she’s no threat to Tanselm. Period.”

**********

Stay tuned for further developments...:)

Marie

No comments: