Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cover Madness

Cover art is so essential to book sales. You see a crappy cover, you expect a crappy book. This often isn't the case, but when it comes to getting noticed, best not to blow it right at the starting line. It's not as if people try to have bad covers. Art is subjective. What one person likes, another hates.

I'm currently wrangling with one of my publishing houses about cover art. I'm sure someone else might love the covers I've been presented, and it's clear the artist is super skilled, but she/he is not quite getting it. The cover has to fit the tone of the book. Granted, not everything will be the same as described in the story, but it has to follow genre/tone and be eye-catching. 


Some of my favorite covers I've gotten through the years, to list a few:

 
As a reader, I'd find these certainly captivating enough to read the back blurb. And as an author, I'm clearly biased. All of my covers, with the exception of one or two, have pleased the heck out of me. My fingers are crossed that this next one turns out as good as I think it can be. 

3 comments:

Laurie P said...

Your covers have always been some of the best.

Susan W. said...

I don't know that you've had a cover yet that didn't make me want to find out what the book was about.

Unknown said...

I love your covers...For me the covers are the first thing that pulls me to that book. If the covers are awesome then that makes me want to check that book out..