Monday, July 13, 2009

Harper's Island...What a FINALE!! (no spoilers, safe to read)


My guilty pleasure. I LOVED this short series. Harper's Island is a gory murder mystery, a "Ten Little Indians" meets Hannibal Lecter, but made for TV. Each week a cast member, or two, has been killed off, making us wonder just who dunnit. Is it John Wakefield, the psychopath who murdered so many seven years ago? Or someone closer to the wedding party returning to the island?

The show had so-so ratings. Many called it cheesy, pretentious, outlandish. Whatever. I call it some murderously good clean/dirty fun. At the beginning I thought I knew who had done it. I changed my mind a dozen times throughout the thirteen episodes it aired. I irritated my husband to no end by shouting out several different scenarios as we watched the finale. Yet I feel vindicated! I was right (at least one of those times.) I hesitate to go into more detail about the show, not wanting to spoil it for anyone who's TIVO'd it or plans on watching it On Demand, as I did.

What strikes me is how eagerly I awaited every episode. I'm not a gore hound. I don't mind horror movies, but I like mine with plot. I also appreciate a good thriller or mystery. Yeah, Harper's Island had its share of cheese. Some of the decisions made by characters were plain wacky and there to continue the story. The schmaltzy wedding, the odd characters, the OVERLY annoying little girl... But the show hooked me and didn't let me go until the end. Which is probably why they aren't renewing a second season, because somehow the folks that make decisoins about shows heard of my interest. sigh

All in all, this is one series I wish would be coming back. I'll blog more about it next week, once I pass what I consider the "safey zone" in not spoiling things for people who missed the ending.

But I've gotta say, it was a true pleasure to watch each week. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out. Check the website for back episodes.

*A note of interest: Jim Beaver (who played the sheriff) and Katie Cassidy (who played the bride) are both veterans of Supernatural, my favorite show. I know I sound like a dork, but I just had to mention it.

No comments: