Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Week In Writing: Editing

Welcome to the wonderful world of editing....ech. What? Edits aren't always pretty? No. As a matter of fact, edits can be a royal pain in the butt, but without them, our stories would be about as pretty as a me without coffee in the morning...not a sight you EVER want to see.

Editing is a process by which we make our work better. That first draft, which seems so perfect after it's been written, upon closer inspection is usually filled with flaws. Typos, grammatical errors, misused words, and heck, storylines that made sense at 1 AM which in the light of day seem alien, as if someone else had written them.

So how does a writer edit? Spell check, grammar check, a critique partner? All of the above, and more. Take me, for instance. I never use grammar check, frankly because I think it's awful. The computer would have me switch half of my "theirs" to "there's" incorrectly. If I accidentally use "a" instead of "an" grammar check often lets it go. And there are numerous other offenses I won't even get into. Now I will use the spell check, but only after I'm finished my entire MS. No, I rely on the writing skills drummed into me from an English teacher father, an old critique partner, and the many wonderful editors it's thus far been my pleasure to work with. (Not a big grammar geek, you say? Well, a bit later I'll hit on a few options to streamline your work without a head full of word rules. )

All that said, here's a glimpse into the process... I'll take the five or ten pages I've written the night before. Before I begin writing, I scan the text. I review it for grammatical errors, content, and word repetition, which is a huge problem I'm contantly fixing. Then once that's done, I feel free to write new stuff. This short editing process 1) cleans up mistakes I missed the day before in my hurry to put words to paper/computer and 2)puts me back into my prior writing mood. I've found it's a good way not to overedit, since I only go over my words once before writing, and in smaller chunks, maybe 5-10 pages at a time. Of course, this is only on a first draft. Much more editing occurs after the manuscript is finished.

But let's say you don't know what to look for. Here are a few editing glitches to be wary of:
  1. Their vs there vs they're. Your vs you're. If you can break the words apart into "they are" and "you are" in your sentence, then use the contractions. This goes for all contractions. Watch possessive "its" vs "it's" too. "Its" is possessive, but uses no apostrophe.
  2. The run on sentence is a killer. I went on vacation to meet the man of my dreams and my mother happily watched my dog Fido. Two separate sentences. Either fix it by I went on vacation to meet the man of my dreams. My mother happily watched my dog Fido. OR I went on vacation to meet the man of my dreams, and my mother happily watched my dog Fido.
  3. Homonyms can mess you up and make you sound like an idiot. Compliment--praise or admiration. Complement--something that completes another. Your scarf is lovely. (compliment) That scarf really complements that coat. They go well together. (complement)
  4. Using the same word four or five times in a paragraph. And let's face it, if you write romance, and specifically erotic romance, several words come up A LOT. "Hard" and "pleasure" immediately come to mind. *grin* Having an electronic thesaurus really comes in handy.
  5. Blonde vs blond. This debate will go on forever because the word is accepted both ways, and each publisher seems to have one which they prefer.

I could go on and on about common grammatical mistakes, but I won't because I'm starting to bore myself. Two books I highly recommend to help you are The Little, Brown Handbook, which is used in some elementary and middle schools but may be hard to find. An easier book which hits all the high points and I just LOVE is Painless Grammar by Rebecca Elliott, PhD. It runs for about nine bucks and can be found in any bookstore. And hey, it's intended for 6th-8th graders, so it's very easy to understand.

Why such a fuss about editing? Because you want your book to be the best it can be. And believe it or not, an edited book will read quite different from one that's not. It's amazing how much clearer your work will be to you and how much more enjoyable it will be for the reader.

If you have or can get a good critique partner, I'd highly recommend it. Mine is spitting out kids like a Pez dispenser, so we're on hiatus. (Hi, Rene!) But she would often catch things I'd miss even on a second read-through. As the writer, you know what you mean. But the reader won't catch it, so that second pair of eyes can be invaluable. And when you do submit your work, you want it to impress the publisher enough to ask for a full manuscript. So polish, polish, polish.

Oh, and something I didn't yet mention. Once you've finished your story, put it away for a few weeks before looking at it again. Write something else in the meantime. Then, when you return to your piece, you'll note a lot more since you've been distanced from it. And trust me, you'll still receive edits from your editor no matter how good you think it is. FYI, on my release Tied and True from Loose Id, I must have undergone at least ten rounds of edits. No lie. And this was a polished piece. Nothing was a huge fix, but each time an editor, line editor or proofer went through it, they caught something someone else hadn't. It was a long process, but I absolutely love the end result.

In summation, a few things to look for when editing:

  • grammar, spelling and word usage
  • a critique partner
  • allowance of time between the finished product and rewrites
  • small editing throughout the piece to get it finished (you can overdo edits to the point that you never finish your story, always editing. And that's bad.)
  • first drafts are never published
  • write with a dictionary, thesaurus and grammar text by your side

Okay then. This sums up today's post on editing. Come on back tomorrow and check out an interesting topic, the merits of both epublishing and print publishing.

Marie

13 comments:

Laurie M. Rauch said...

Heh, you have no idea how glad I am to hear you say this... mwahahaha. ;)

Unknown said...

Sooooo happy to see this, it looks fabulous!

Two points especially stand out: (1) set it aside and come back to it later and (2) get at least a second pair of eyes to look it over.

That's kind of built in at our house, where there are two of us writing under one pen name (Amanda Burns) so we both go over manuscripts ad infinitum, it seems. Still, when we've set something aside and later pick it up to polish and submit, I'm amazed how many of the items you've listed have escaped our scrutiny. Not to mention after the house editor goes back over it...

We try. And actually (oops, some editors don't like initial conjunctions) I'm not sure I've ever read a published work without at least one error in it.

Betty

Marie Harte said...

Ah ha! Laurie, I knew that was you. Grammar Geeks unite!

:) Marie

Dayna_Hart said...

Edits. Bah humbug ;)

I was astonished at how many rounds Go Between went through. I have a crit group, and all three of the other girls went over it for me before I sent it in. My editor and I combed that sucker four times, and the line editor still found a mistake that made me groan aloud. "I can't believe I DID that" was my mantra...I just kept chanting it.

And I wish authors weren't so impatient. (I can say that cuz I'm guilty as anytying of this) But that 'set it aside and come back to it later' thing is SO important.

Anonymous said...

My first book took five months to write and three months to edit. I think I learned as much in the editing of the work as I did in the writing. I also realized when I started to edit that I had to rework the whole first half of the book. Writing 320 pages had really smoothed out my writing and by the time I was done the last half of the book didn't match the rougher first half of the book.

Which is why I always cringe when I hear writers working on their first book tell me how they are editing and editing those first few chapters before moving on because they want them to be perfect. By the time they hit the end they will be surprised by the change in their writing.

I heard someone say once you need to write 1,000 pages to really smooth out. It was true for me.

Now when I edit I do what you do, I always go back and read the last group of pages so I can get back into the story and, as I go, I fix any mistakes I find. I Don't edit the full piece until I hit the end. But by doing small edits along the way it really helps me cut down on the amount of big edits I have to do when it's time to polish the sucker up.

When I start to edit I know I will be looking for word repetition. No matter how hard I try I sometimes fall in love with a word and use it over and over. And I know I will have to go through and fix my conversations because I always tend to write them more formally. Using I am, instead of I'm. Or I will instead of I'll.

I usually put the piece aside for a week or two. Then I pick it up and go through it a few times, editing as I go. When I have polished it as best I can, I hand it over to my critique partners.

Samantha Storm - http://www.samanthastorm.com/
*Shadow Vision ** On Sale Now!! http://www.newconceptspublishing.com/shadowvision.htm
***
Eye of the Storm - now in print from NCP
My Space - http://www.myspace.com/samanthastormbooks
Blogs- Butterscotch Martini Girls - http://www.butterscotchmartinigirls.com/

*.¸¸.·´¨`*.¸¸.·´¨`*.¸¸.·´¨`*.¸¸.·´¨`* `·.·´ *.¸¸.·´¨`*.¸¸.·´¨`*

Anonymous said...

Marie,

I posted an article on the function of an editor at my blog
http://cyn.blogspirit.com/writing/

In addition, I find a world of people don't know the difference between homophones (words that sound the same)

to, too, two
your, you're
there, their, they're

Then there are those words people might say in public, but you don't use in the descriptive portion of your writing such as
gonna
wanna
ain't
haveta

Used sparingly to denote education and dialect is fine, but not as a regular occurrence.

On the haircolor thing...I've used the blonde to denote a woman and the blond for a male.

Another pet peeve its and it's. (Its is possessive - The dog gnawed its bone. The it's is for "it is".)

Same goes for alot. There is no such word. The correct use is "a lot" which would mean something in quantity. I go to the movies a lot.
The best "grammar" book I ever had is the one I used to teach seventh grade with...Warriner's English Grammar. And for ease and simplicity, you can't ever go wrong with The Elements of Style.

One other thing I'd like to point out...as an editor...it is NOT the editor's job to correct your grammar and spelling errors. The primary function of the editor is to make sure your story holds up, makes logical sense. The editor may catch some glaring things, but they are not a proofreader.

According to The McGraw-Hill Desk Reference for Editors, Writers, and Proofreaders there are four main types of editing:

1)Standard proofreading which includes spelling and punctuation and formatting.

2)Editorial proofreading which is all of number 1 plus a little bit of tweaking for clarity and word choice

3) Copyediting which is all proofreading, phrasing and organization of the writing itself

4) Substantive editing which involves rewriting, reorganization and perhaps sends the author back to the drawing board.

My experience has been that most editors are a number 4 with a touch of 3 thrown in. In bigger print houses, once you gain #4's approval, you are probably bumped to 2. Rarely does any author go through all four types of editors.

Lucynda
www.lucyndastorey.com

Vivien Dean said...

One thing I've been known to do is read a story out loud in the editing phase. Because you're forcing your mouth to articulate what's actually on the page, you're not letting your brain skip over portions where you might have missed words. You can also hear where something sounds clunky, or where dialogue might not ring true.

The blonde/blond thing bugs me. I was always taught blonde was used for feminine subjects and blond for male. I still stick by that as much as I can.

Marie Harte said...

Great responses, everyone. I'm as guilty as you, Danyna, of being impatient. Kills me to wait on anything. I like to think I'm done a work as soon as I finish typing it. NOT. And Samantha, sounds like you and I work the same way. :) Lucynda, I'm definitely going to check your blog. I completely agree. An editor should not have to go over your work for spelling and grammatical errors. Unfortunately, there's always SOMETHING that slips through the cracks. Vivien, I tried reading aloud to myself, but could'nt do it unless I was totally stuck. I have found it effective though. And I was always taught that "blonde" was for a person and "blond" was an adjective.
Who knows???
Marie :)

Kaz Augustin said...

Yes, the rolling partial edits as I write is so valuable and, also like Samantha, I don't start from the beginning until I've finished the end. And I always read out loud, as Vivien does, to smooth flow.

When we were moving and had to pack up our books, I went through thesaurus-withdrawal! (Wherefore art thou, synonyms?) The only thing I had to rely on were internet resources (hey, at least there were internet resources, right?). Now, with my beloved helpers back on my desk, I'm relaxed again.

And I've got a HUGE problem with people who use it's for its. If I nab one of the perpetrators, I always say, "you never write hi's or her's, so why write it's?". It seems to be easier for people to remember...or maybe they're just humouring me because I have that maniac gleam in my eye.

Re: blond/e. I always thought it was as Marie said: blonde for person, blond for adjective.

S.M.Bidwell said...

Nice to see how another writer does it. Some of my habits differ. I reread a LOT. I've learned why many writers say their favourite work is the current one they're writing because by the time mine goes out I've read the thing so many times, well, I'm never sick of it but it does make me feel a tad punch drunk. And then there's the edits you do with an actual editor after you've done so much tweaking yourself and you STILL miss something. I detest my work going out less than perfect but it's just impossible to spot every error without help and only experience has taught me that valuable lesson.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I'm going through my first line edit for "Thirteen Silver Moons". I thought it was all polished and perfect, and every time I get a new chapter I get a headache from Homer-slapping myself. (Palm to forehead, accompanied by "D'oh!") So many little things are wrong, typos and grammar and such. Is there ever a point when you stop being embarrassed?

Evanne Lorraine said...

No matter how carefully I think I've proofed there's always more to fix--setting the work aside for at least a few weeks (as Betty mentioned) helps lots. Also, reading aloud does wonders for me because my ear will catch what my eyes slide over. Great blog!

B.L. Foxxe's Blog said...

As an author who has only one editing program and that is the spell/grammar check, I realize I've got a lot of work to do. *sigh* Love this blog of yours Marie. Thanks for putting it up so that other authors have a shot at being able to do things right for a change.

B.L. Foxxe/Aidyl aurban