Friday, July 27, 2007

The Dreaded Query

The Dreaded Query, which is usually followed by The Dreaded Synopsis. But since I really hate the synopsis, and am MUCH better at writing the query letter, you're stuck with option one.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just wish our books into publication? Once you've established yourself with a publishing house, the query pales beside the synopsis. But it's getting that foot in the door to have your story read that's key. And that's the purpose of a query, to tell the acquiring editor something about yourself and your book that leads said editor to want more.

So what constitutes a good query? First of all, it needs to be succinct. Editors go through a bazillion manuscripts daily (yes, a bazillion, just ask any editor), and they don't have time to wade through the muck to see what you're selling. Half the time authors market their books to the wrong people, so for example, "My Book is a 90,000 word historical romance" says a lot to the editor right there. Title, word length, genre. BAM.

A query should also give the editor a blurb about your work, to showcase the story in no more than a paragraph or two. Again, keep it simple and short. Imagine you're in a bookstore wondering what to read. If you're like me, you pick up a book and read the back cover for the blurb. If the story sounds good, you might buy it. So when writing your blurb for your query, keep that in mind.

Your query should also tell the editor about you, the writer. What is your background? Do you belong to any writing organizations? Have you won any awards? If your book is about a protagonist in the police department, and you're a policeman/woman, it would be pertinent to mention that fact. Gives your work credibility.

Here's a sample query letter that worked for me. Check it out.


(real name here) Ima Writer
Writing as Marie Harte
marie_harte@yahoo.com
www.marieharte.com

September 08, 2006

Dear Samhain Publishing:

I have written a contemporary erotic romance entitled Enjoying the Show that I would like you to consider for publication. I have read your FAQs page and realize that though you prefer longer stories, you will accept works more than 12,000 words in length. I’ve been looking for a home for my 12,649 word short story, and feel Samhain would be a perfect fit. I’ve been interested in Samhain since its inception and am familiar with many of your talented authors—Shiloh Walker, Michelle Pillow, and Mackenzie McKade to name a few.

I have been writing seriously for the last three years. I write erotic romance under the name Marie Harte, and am published with New Concepts Publishing, Venus Press, and recently won the Amber Heat 2006 contest, securing a contract with Amber Quill Press. I also took first place in the Passionate Plume Contest for futuristic/scifi romance, as well as first in the Lories Contest for Steamy/erotic romance just this summer.

I am a member of the Romance Writers of America (RWA) and in particular Passionate Ink, an electronic chapter of the RWA. I majored in English at Penn State University, was a Major in the United States Marine Corps and have since been building an eclectic background from which to gather material to write.

My short story, Enjoying the Show, came to me one night after seeing a steamy book cover of a man in low slung jeans, a tool belt and nothing else. My heart beating loudly, inspiration suddenly bloomed. What if…?

Enjoying the Show is a 12,649 word contemporary erotic romance that centers on a beautiful but vulnerable woman and the sexy but gruff man determined to show her she’s more than a pretty face. Hailey Jennison is smart, funny, and unfortunately, stacked like a blond brick house. Though shy, she’s aware of the impact of her looks on the male gender. And she hates it. So keeping to her safe if boring life, she meets once a week with friends for dinner, some laughs, and entertainment which almost fulfills her every desire--watching the living, breathing sex god across the quad as he parades around his apartment half-naked. Watching and yearning, she eagerly accepts the routine, never anticipating she might find herself caught by her dream man, or that he has plans of his own to fulfill her naughty fantasies.

I have attached a synopsis and the full story, as it is a shorter read. I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.


Sincerely,

Ima Writer
writing as Marie Harte


This is the query I subbed to Samhain, and it got my foot in the door. Now I've been rejected by a bunch of editors, my lovely Samhain editor Laurie included. :) But I've always been able to get a request for a full, to include queries to Harlequin, Dorchester, Samhain, Loose Id, and more. So I'm sharing what works for me. (And on a happy note, my Samhain editor gave me a great rejection, which I turned around into a sale. See, there can be a happy ending sprouted from the words "sorry, needs work." Enjoying the Show is coming to Samhain this December. )

In the query, I've found that this format works best, and I learned my stuff from the local RWA chapter I used to belong to way back when:

  1. Good header: shows you know how to communicate professionally. Even if it's an email, it should still be spelled right and be grammatically correct.

  2. First paragraph: details of work. Title, genre, word count, a must. Maybe a line or two about why you're targeting the particular publisher. But keep it short.

  3. A little background about self, WRITING background. Not necessary to describe your marital status, last great date, or how many kids you have or plan to have

  4. Writing affiliations, awards

  5. Blurb of story

  6. What you attached to email, with paper submission

  7. Sincerely, respectfully, etc. End with a proper salutation. Remember, this letter is a professional correspondence. Be a PROFESSIONAL.
Now you don't necessarily have to write your query in that order. Again, this is the format I like to use. And the reason I do it this way is to leave the editor with a blurb before I sign off, another BAM about my work.

Some writers like to sprinkle humor throughout their letters. Others are more to the point. Do what works best for you, but remember, your goal with this letter is to get an editor to give your work a chance. It's your voice and your opportunity on the line. So try not to screw it up. :)

Tomorrow I'll conclude A Week in Writing with Finding Your Work a Happy Home.

Marie

No comments: