Friday, December 7, 2012

An Update on Entranced

An update on Entranced. Apparently, there has been a problem with the "rape" warning on the book. (This warning was set by the publisher--not me.) The act in question was one paragraph long and something the villain did to a minor character. The wording of the warning made it sound as if the entire book was about rape, at least the way I read it, and Amazon refused to distribute the book.

This
has been very frustrating as I've had my villains do dastardly things in the past but never had a weird warning or had the book not carried because of it.


However, the incident was so minor and the villain has done so many other bad things I had no problem amending said paragraph so there's no longer any hint of rape. *shaking head* Had this been an integral scene in the book, I wouldn't have touched it. But it really was so minor in contrast to the rest of the book that changing it took five minutes on my part. Thus I'm still bemused that that tiny scene caused such an issue.

 

I've never been a proponent of violence against women, in any form. However, when a bad guy does bad and gets his just desserts, I'm pleased to see justice done.
 

Despite the weird warning on my book, that Amazon is deciding what to publish and not publish is a bit scary. I read a wonderful Stephen King book where one of his novellas is about a woman being raped, and the actual scene, her terror and the resultant emotional fallout, is described in detail. The book remains at Amazon, and justly so. And man, the story is awesome.
 

Okay, I rambled. Point is, Entranced has been revised, has a new ISBN, a new warning (deemed by the publisher) and has been redistributed everywhere. So I'm hoping it will soon be available at Amazon.
What a nightmare.

6 comments:

Charity said...

That is just crazy! I'm sorry you had to go through that! It is a little ok a lot scary that Amazon has that "power".

Carrie Ann Ryan said...

Wow. That's so crazy. I'm sorry hon.

Marie Harte said...

Thanks, Charity. Yeah, it was weird. The kindle format is available at other places, Loose Id and ARe to name a few, but most readers think Kindle=Amazon, and they like to just buy through their Kindle devices. But hey, it should be good to go by the end of the weekend, I'm hoping. :)

Marie Harte said...

Thanks, Carrie Ann. Got an email from the publisher saying it should be okay now. But geez, Amazon filtering content was a surprise.

Carrie Ann Ryan said...

They've been a little crazy lately with KDP. It's surprising they did that with Loose ID though.

Marie Harte said...

Oh? I hadn't realized they were weird about KDP.