Friday, January 16, 2009

Life after...

Good news. I can once again breathe. The fever has abated, as have the aches. My kids are fever free, but the husband's cold is lingering, like mine. Guess that's what happens when you're OLD. Funny thing, I hadn't considered myself old. Then I talked to a friend of mine today. She keeps me up to date on old friends. We were in the Marine Corps together and still get together every year. She's my kids' godmother.

Imagine my surprise to note a buddy of mine married with kids. And he's a Lt.Col. What???? Seems like just yesterday we were on the verge of getting kicked out of a motel at Myrtle Beach, along with our other dozen friends cramming into one room. What happened to the idiot lieutenants who had to be responsible, real fast, so we let down our hair only around each other? Another friend is getting married, while a few others gear up for a promotion board.

I can only hope they get pushed up the food chain. The Corps needs good people, and it makes me feel good to know my friends are doing well. I know it shocks anyone who knows me that I have children. I'm a tough-love kind of person. In my book, and to copy a favorite USMC idiom, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." How they'd laugh at me now, seeing me losing it around two small boys when years ago I kept my cool around cocky Staff NCO's and snotty 2nd Lts.

Ah, the glory of aging.

1 comment:

Asylumgirl said...

Glad you're feeling better!

I received Feral Attraction in the mail yesterday. Thanks again!

Deidre