Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Prometheus: A Movie Review

Prometheus, a science fiction cautionary tale about being careful what you wish for, focuses on the origin of human life and what being human really means. Ridley Scott, who directed the iconic Alien back in 1979, returns to the genre that put science fiction and strong heroines on the map. 

This movie is definitely worth watching on the big screen. The special effects are dazzling, well worth watching a second or third time.

The plot is thought provoking all on its own. Who made us and why, and if given the chance, would you seek the answers to our origins? 

This is not the prequel to Alien...exactly. I can't say more without spoiling it, but the ending was terrific and really fit the movie. 

The characters had depth, which I really liked. Too often in science fiction, the movie is all about alien worlds and plot and not about character. But Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, and Charlize Theron, in particular, did bang-up jobs on making the movie feel real. Prometheus wasn't so much scary as it was intriguing, with a few thrills that had me on the edge of my seat. I liked that I couldn't figure out how it would end or who, if anyone, would survive. Before I knew it, the movie had ended. I hadn't checked my watch once, and I wanted the story to continue.

So from me, Prometheus earns an A-. Well done!

No comments: